Saturday 29 December 2012

Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

Title - Finding Sky
Author - Joss Stirling
Genre - Paranormal, Young Adult
Publisher - Oxford University Express
Source - Own, Kindle
Synopsis - When Sky catches a glimpse of Zed for the first time, lounging against his motorbike at school, she is drawn to him just like every other girl in Wickenridge. But Zed sees something special in her that the other girls don’t have. Zed tells her they are both Savants – people with special powers like telepathy and the ability to see into the future. Not only that, she is a Savant too, and his soulfinder – meant to be together.

When a soulfinder speaks telepathically to her partner, it’s like all the lights coming on in a building. You lit me up like Vegas. But for Sky it’s just not that easy – she’s a mystery to herself, haunted by nightmares from her past before she was adopted, and riddled with doubt and insecurity. Just when Sky is slowly coming round to the idea of being with Zed she is kidnapped by a family of criminal Savants. In a chilling twist, Sky and Zed’s relationship is put to the ultimate test and the fate of those she loves lie in Sky’s hands. Will Sky have the strength to embrace her power and be brave enough to control her own destiny, or will the dark demons of her past prevent her from realising her true potential?


I stumbled upon this author one day whilst surfing Facebook pages. I discovered a blog that was hosting a give away and even though the likelihood of me winning was 0% I still entered. I, of course read the synopsis and a little of the authors bio first.

The book sounded perfect for me. It was exactly the type of book that I've always loved. 99% of the time. And it was a trilogy, which for some reason is my favourite type of series.

I really liked the first chapter of this book. Pulled at the heart strings and still had me asking questions; like what the hell was going on? Unfortunately the next few chapters weren't as engaging. That's not to say they weren't good, but they didn't really do much for me.

I think I liked all the characters, from the good to the bad. All were incredibly well written. I especially liked the Benedicts family. The family-ness protrayed was so homely and lovely. And Sean the creep was great at being creepy.  Sky's parents were lovable in their own right, I think I slightly prefer Simon over Sally, but that's more to do with the fact that he had more dialogue than Sally I think, plus he made me laugh.

The one little thing I wish the author had added was the 'teaching'. I love the part in the X-Men movies when they're teaching kids how to use their power and even though Sky wasn't really taught much. I would have liked a little insight on how her power's worked. I'm hoping the last two books in the trilogy pick that up.

And yes, that does mean I will be definitely buying the rest of this trilogy. I cannot wait.

4.5/5 Wasn't perfect, but was damn good.

Image via Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment