Saturday 6 July 2013

White Trash Beautiful by Teresa Mummert


Title - White Trash Beautiful
Author - Teresa Mummert
Genre - Young Adult, Contemporary, Contemporary Romance, 
Source -  NetGalley
Synopsis - Cass Daniels isn’t waiting for her knight in shining armor. She knows that girls like her don’t get a happily ever after. Not if you live in a trailer with your mom, work at a greasy spoon diner, and get leered at by old men. Maybe that’s why she puts up with Jackson—her poor excuse for a boyfriend, who treats her like dirt. Cass has learned to accept her lot in life. That is, until he walks into her diner. . . . 

His name is Tucker White, and he’s different from any man Cass has ever known. Tall, tattooed, and bad-ass gorgeous, he’s the lead singer of the rock band Damaged. From the moment they meet, Tucker sees something in Cass he just can’t shake. Something beautiful. Something haunted. Something special. And he’s determined to find out what it is—if only he can get her to open up and let him in. . . .   



This book has done something no other book has done and I will explain all. 

I loved the starting of this book. It had a powerful starting, unfortunately that didn't last. 

I found White Trash Beautiful to be a frustrating book. Whilst I cheered Cass on, hoping she got the happy ending she wanted. I couldn't help but feel that a lot of the time she kept shooting herself in the foot. If a guy offers you a way out, why would you go back? For your druggie mum? Or your abusive boyfriend?

I was expecting incredible emotions. I easily weep for fictional characters and I expected White Trash Beautiful to make me cry buckets. Weirdly I wasn't even blinking back tears. 


Cass was kind of whiny. Constantly reminding me of her shit life, and I think that's why I lost all my empathy for her. Plus pretty early on I saw a repetitiveness; Tucker would offer her an option of a little escape, see him in concert or spend some time away from home and Cass would initially turn him down. A few hours before she was supposed to meet him, something would happen, mainly Jax, and Cass would quickly change her mind. I found myself rolling my eyes at her denying Tucker because I could already see her going back to him. 
The ending also annoyed me a little bit. I totally didn't get it. She left him, so he'd have a chance of making it big... But why couldn't he do that with her? And when he found her, which didn't really take all that long. Why did she quickly give in? 
Tucker is described as the knight in shining armour and he was a bit bland. I know nothing about his past other than the fact that he had a hard childhood and he was adopted. There was nothing I could relate too.
I think if the author had spent a little more time, trying to give the characters more depth, and relatable this book could have been amazing. Unfortunately it didn't really illicit any great emotions from me.  

And the reason this book has had me shaking my head...Even though I found Cass annoying at times I still finished the book, and I kind of want to read the second one. It's not a book I'd pre-order because I absolutely can't wait but it has been added onto my To-Read list. 

White Trash Beautiful is the first book in the White Trash Trilogy. White Trash Damaged Book 2 is set to be released in January 2014. A bit of a wait to go for fans.

3.5/5 for White Trash Beautiful. It's book 1 in a trilogy, so it's got potential. Really hoping the author is able to give is a deeper look into Tucker's past and let Cass grow as a person. 

Image and Synopsis via Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment