Saturday 5 October 2013

Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn #1 Mindjack

Title - Open Minds
Author - Susan Kaye Quinn
Genre - Sci-Fi, Young Adult
Source - Own, Kindle
Synopsis Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.

Open Minds didn't have the strongest opening. I was intrigued about how the mind reading worked but after understanding that it quickly got old. I nearly gave up on this book. Fortunately I didn't and after Kira got herself kidnapped, the book became really good.

I think the reason I didn't really like the starting of the book was because of the decision's Kira made. I couldn't understand and connect with her. Simon was a huge mistake, and even though he ended up trying to make up for his mistakes I'll never understand why Kira trusted him.

Once the story started flowing a bit better I really enjoyed this book. Kira became a more confident person and I liked her more for not causing harm to others. She stuck to her guns. I also liked the agent looking for Kira. I know he came off as a type of baddie, a big part of me can't help but think that he is seriously mis-understood.

The book didn't end on a cliff-hanger but I'm still intrigued about what happens next for Kira.

4/5 - A slow starting but once it picks up it's hard to put down.

Image and Synopsis via Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment