Saturday 6 October 2012

Devil's Bargain by Rachel Caine


Title - Devil's Bargain (Red Letter Days, #1)
Author - Rachel Caine
Format - Paperback, Ebook
Source - Netgalley
Synopsis - What's the price of a deal with the devil?

Playing by the psychic underworld's rules has cost.

Jazz Callender's whole life just got turned upside down. Her friend Ben's been convicted of a crime he didn't commit, and Jazz is determined to clear his name, even if it means enlisting the help of dark forces.

Enter James, a stranger with a mysterious offer. If Jazz pledges to work for The Cross Society, a shadowy secret organisation, he'll help her save Ben.

But as she's thrust into a world of psychic powers and dangerous magic, Jazz isn't just bargain for her friend's freedom. She's bargaining for her soul too.

And how high a price is she willing to pay?


Normally in a review I'd start off with stating my feelings for this book. In this review I've really got to start by mentioning the cover.

I got this copy from Netgalley, and when I first saw the cover and the author, Rachel Caine, I quickly jumped to the conclusion that this was a Morganville Vampires book. Why? I hear you ask... Well if you've read the Morganville Vampire books or even seen them around...you'd understand. This really does look a part of the MV

This is a completely different Rachel Caine series. Why does it have to look so similar to another of her series?

Moving on, this book was first released in 2005. Different cover, different synopsis; one that actually fit the book. What do I mean? You ask...

'Enlisting the help of dark forces.' I'm sorry but when did that happen?
'He'll help her save Ben.' When did he say he'd do that?
'She's bargaining for her soul too.' When were soul's mentioned?

I don't know if it's giving the game away for book two, but I really can't remember any of the above happening. It has been about a week or two since I've finished the book though.

Saying all that though, I did enjoy the book. I liked Jazz, her business partner, James, the neurotic guy whose paranoid about his safety... Yes I've completely forgotten everybody's name.

Which moves nicely onto my next point. It was a good book, whilst I was reading it time passed quickly. But once I put it down, there wasn't that urgent need to quickly pick it back up again because I wanted to know what happened.

And I have no idea why... It may be because for more the 60% of the book no paranormal activity occured. It had actually got to the point where I was wondering if I'd read the blurb right or even picked up the right book.

I think this is a good book. Not as great as her Weather Wardens series, but good nonetheless.

3/5 because it had me questioning my insanity

No comments:

Post a Comment