Thursday 16 August 2012

Pushing The Limits By Katie McGarry

Title - Pushing the Limits
Author - Katie McGarry
Publisher - Harlequin Teen Imprint - MIRA Ink
Format - Hardback, Paperback, ebook
Source - Netgalley
Synopsis - No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

This book has two covers... and I'm not really sure I like either. This cover, up top, makes me think the book is sci-fi-ish. The other cover is just to much PDA for my liking, BUT saying that... I absolutely loved this book, and I mean LOVED. All capitals.
It has been such a long time since I've read a contemporary book without any supernatural beings in. I'm normally not a fan. I find them too mundane, boring, repetitive. I feel like too much attention is given into the boring part of people lives. Breakfast, clothes, routines are mentioned too much. Not enough action.

I read this book on my kindle, and I remember starting late at night and thinking I'll just start it and then continue on with it tomorrow. It was so, so hard to put down and go to sleep. Katie has this amazing talent to pull the reader in very quickly. I was misty eyed in the first 13% of this. And yes I bawling like a baby at the end of it.

The characters are just WOW, I was able to instantly connect with them.

Echo is just...lost. She's lost her brother, she can't remember her mother attacking her and her father....Grr. I'm reading her thoughts and I just feel completely sympathetic towards her. One thing I really liked about her character was the fact that she wasn't pathetic. She has spunk when she needed too. I loved her first meeting with Noah.
And Noah, I think I slightly preferred him more than Echo. Noah is a orphan, and he has two younger siblings. And he just wants to be normal and be a family again. I was completely able to feel his love, hurt and want with him.

There aren't any big action scenes in this book. No fires, bombs exploding. It's ordinary lives, ordinary people. It the characters and the situation that completely makes this book. I'm not just talking about Echo and Noah here. I'm talking about everybody.
I'm able to love and hope that Noah and Echo get there happy ending.
I'm still incredibly annoyed with Echo's dad. I really want to just hit him...only a little bit though. Ashley I'm 50/50 about. She was annoying at the starting. Looking through it from Echo's eyes, but by the end I'm sure I'd be able to tolerate her.
I adored the school psychiatrist...whose name I've completely forgotten. Her driving, her whirlwind of a mind. It was very amusing.
Beth and Isiah were pretty great too. Really liked the relationship between them and Noah. They were a family already, without the adults.

I'm really really hoping the Katie is going to do a sequel. I really hope she does. Maybe 10-15 years down the line? This is just one of those books were you never want it to end because it's so involving.

But I do know that she's already planned/written a book, 'Dare You Too'. It's supposed to be about Beth's character. But not much detail has been given about that yet. Can't wait for 2013.

I'm definitely going to be picking up the next book by Katie McGarry. This novel is just pure awesome-ness. A great first debut.

I would recommend this too EVERYBODY!!!

100/10 - Intentional

Image via Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment